Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A Few Do's and Don'ts
Fire damage can be unexpected and ruin lots of plans. Whether the family dinner you cooked caught fire or water heater blew, our team is available 24/7 to help you with fire damage. Our team at SERVPRO of Broken Arrow understands how unfortunate fire loss can be, so we work with your insurance company and get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible.
While you wait for our team to arrive, here are a few tips to get your started on the cleanup process.
Please make sure you prioritize safety above all. Wait until the local fire department has given the property the "all clear."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (918) 250-2300
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.